Basic Sales Skills Course
Acquire basic sales skills and gain confidence to make telephone or face-to-face sales.
This one-day basic sales training course provides a comprehensive introduction to successful selling. Participants learn customer-focused selling techniques as well as new skills for starting a sales conversation, building client rapport, selling a particular product or service and closing the sale.
This sales course will develop the participants’ skills, behaviour and confidence to sell over the telephone and face-to-face.
The training also aims to provide participants with an understanding of core sales principles, as well as basic selling skills to convert sales enquiries into business.
- Our basic sales training is ideal for anyone new to a sales role, or who has a little experience but no formal training and would like to understand more about the sales process and develop their selling skills.
- The course will be tailored to your marketplace and industry sectors and we will use your own examples of customers, clients and targets for discussion and role-play practise.
As a follow-on to the introductory sales training, we also offer intermediate sales training aimed at consultants, experts and professionals. This two-day course further develops the participants’ selling skills in progressing the sale, gaining customer commitment and overcoming customer concerns and objections.
By the end of this one-day basic sales training course, the participants will:
- Understand what makes a great sales person.
- Follow a customer-focused sales process to guide their sales conversations and match the buying cycle.
- Create a great first impression and opening to a sales conversation.
- Identify needs and opportunities through effective questioning and listening.
- Introduce services and products using features and benefits.
- Gain commitment from customers when closing the customer conversation.
What makes a good sales person?
- Exercise – a typical sales person
- What is selling?
- Behaviours, skills and mindset of a good sales person
- Facilitator presentation, small group activity, plenary discussion, individual reflection
How people buy
- The buying process
- Principles of great customer-focused selling
- The sales model
- Applying to your business and role
- Facilitator input, discussion, partner work
Opening a sales conversation
- Outbound and inbound sales calls
- Face-to-face meetings
- First impressions
- The impact of verbal and non-verbal behaviour
- Importance of rapport and relationships
- How we build rapport in a sales context
- Levels of rapport
- Small group work, facilitator input
Fact finding and uncovering needs
- Listening skills; face-to-face and on the telephone
- Active listening
- Questioning skills
- Open and closed questions
- Small group exercises, facilitator input, discussion
- Developing questions related to typical buyers and the organisation’s products and services
- Small group work
Proposing a solution
- Defining features, advantages and benefits
- Understanding the features, advantages and benefits of your products and services
- Presentation, group exercise, practical activities in pairs
Closing the call and gaining commitment
- What is closing?
- Barriers to closing
- Checking skills
- Buying signals
- Asking for the business/next steps
- Facilitator input, partner work
- Practising a ‘real’ sales scenario in triads
- Group review of learning
- Importance of organisational skills and follow-up
- Follow-up actions
- Monitoring next steps
- Buyer’s remorse
- Facilitation and group discussion
Learning review and feedback
- Review workshop and personal objectives
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading introducing basic sales techniques for non-sales people.
- A colour printed workbook with selling tips, techniques and space for personal notes
Basic sales training - UK pricing
The pricing below is for delivering the basic sales course on a weekday, for the specified number of participants. Prices exclude travel expenses and optional workbook printing. We supply a free PDF for our client to print the training materials.
- 3-10 participants £995 +VAT
Type of course: In-house
Our prices already include some tailoring of the course to your business needs, as standard. For example, we will embed your own work-based scenarios into the training, at no additional cost. Alternatively, to discuss a fully bespoke course…
Some additional discounts are available for not-for-profit organisations, the NHS and Public Sector, as well as registered charities…
Get a quote
In-House Training Locations
We deliver in-house basic sales training for companies right across the UK and have local trainers covering the following areas:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Testimonials from previous attendees
Jacqueline was a great trainer, putting up with all and any distractions and giving us a brilliant training session.
Excellent! Found the course really useful. It has provided me with the knowledge and confidence to be able to interact with others in a selling arena.